You need to configure your timelines to set up your LiveTracking functionality. LiveTracking allows friends and family to track real-time activities and progress of athletes during the race. This feature also helps improve safety by monitoring the field of participants during the race.
The more timelines you have the better the LiveTracking estimation will be. Typically you will have a start mat, intermediates and a finish mat. We advise to have at least one timeline in the first 5K for better finish time estimations. The distance of the last timeline must match with the distance configured for the specific race (and with the distance of the course map you uploaded). It is also possible to set up a multi-lap race, or use the same timeline twice. Please note that this requires a stable internet connection to prevent inconsistencies.
1. Timeline configuration
Go to Config > Timer Setup
Scroll down to Races
Click Race Setup > Add timeline
- Name - has to be exact location name as in Timing & Scoring
- Route - select the race timelines apply to
- Distance - enter distance from start to this timeline
- Visible as split - when unchecked, this timeline will be hidden from the map (use only for splits!)
- Consider optional details if applicable
Repeat this action till you have all your timelines set up.
Please note: finish timelines should always match with the course map length and race length! If this is not the case runners will not be marked as finished in the Live Tracking functionality.
2. Optional configurations
- Name (for display) - this is the friendly name which is displayed to users in the app and on the website.
- Timeline open time - time of day, all passings on this timeline before this time will be ignored and discarded. This option can be used when you expect athletes to pass the timeline before the start of the race.
- Sport on next timeline - especially important for events with multi-stage races, like triathlons.
- Trigger SocialShares for passings on this timeline - uncheck this option to exclude passings on this timeline from posting SocialSharing messages. When you have multiple timelines, it can be a suitable option to disable a couple of the timelines, in order to limit the number of SocialShare messages on someone's FB / Twitter timeline.
- Prevent live-tracking overshoot - when checked, livetracking estimated position will never pass this timeline unless this timeline is passed. Use this option only for long distance races.
- Status message - show this message in the livetracking details for this timeline, e.g. when timeline is offline. Will only be displayed when no data is available.
- Time correction delta - add this delta time (can be negative) to all passings on this timeline. Use this to correct for an invalid devince clock.
3. Timelines with seperate Main and Backup (finish) location
If you are using two seperate location names for your main and backup timelines, you will need to make one of them invisible and the distance of both locations must be exactly the same! Because, as long as they have the same distance they are threated as the same location.
4. Timeline configuration with hidden timelines
Hidden timelines will be used for the Live Tracking positioning, but they will not be visible in the Live Tracking detail screen of the athletes, Leaderboards and on the course map. When to use hidden timelines:
- Cheater points - make timeline hidden to not show it in the app
- 2 or more timelines within 1 km - make sure distance is correct! If not, the speed calculations will be wrong, or invalid. Extraordinary speeds will be ignored.
- > 10 timelines within a race - you probably do not want to show all the timelines in the athletes details screen and Leaderboard. In this case you could choose to hide some timelines, so they will not appear in the lists, but they will be used for the Live Tracking positioning.
5) Timeline configuration for endurance races with breaks / transitions / relays zones
If a race has multiple stages and there are breaks, transitions and / or relay zones in between the stages you need to set the race up as a multi-sports race with transition zones. This is required to make sure the Live Tracking positioning is correct.